We all have different skin. Some people are blessed with gorgeous dewy skin, others struggle with dryness or excess oiliness. However, no matter what your natural skin type is, you can improve the look, feel, and overall health of your skin by following sensible and effective skincare routines. With that in mind, if you’re wondering how to get smooth skin, you should continue reading.
In this article, we’ll be discussing what smooth skin is, the qualities that make it so desirable, and how you can implement simple and easy techniques at home to achieve it.
Let’s get it!
What is smooth skin?
This seems like a silly question that has an obvious answer, but you’d be surprised how definitions of smooth skin can vary.
Smooth skin is skin that is free of unsightly lines, blemishes, rough patches, and oiliness. The skin is sleek and smooth to the touch, and there is very little bumpiness on the surface. Essentially, smooth skin is the polar opposite of rough skin.
Here are some common characteristics of smooth skin:
- Even texture: The skin’s surface is largely free of bumps, roughness, and other irregularities.
- Consistent appearance: The tone and color of the skin don’t vary and are consistent all over.
- Properly hydrated: Smooth skin is sufficiently hydrated and moisturized. This gives it a plump and healthy look.
- No blemishes: There is a distinct lack of blemishes on the skin. This includes acne, scars, or areas of discoloration.
- Elasticity: Good elasticity is a sign of healthy smooth skin. It preserves youthfulness and bounces back quickly after being pinched.
- Fewer lines and wrinkles: Smooth skin generally has much fewer visible lines and wrinkles due to healthy levels of collagen. This ensures the skin looks and feels younger.
What causes rough skin?
Wow, smooth skin sure does sound great! Unfortunately, many of us are constantly struggling with rough patches and find it difficult to improve our skin.
Before we can strive for succulent smooth skin, we need to understand the causes of the rough skin to begin with. Once we can identify the problems and triggers, we can take proactive steps to get better skin.
Here are the most common causes of rough skin:
- Dehydration: Hydrated skin is healthy skin. Not having enough water in the body leads to dehydration and dryness in the skin. When our skin becomes dry, it is more likely to develop rough areas over time. In severe cases, the skin can become flaky and itchy.
- Aging: It has been proven that as we age, the level of collagen production in our skin slows down. Because of this, our natural rate of skin cell turnover decreases, leading to a build-up on the skin’s surface. This build-up can then lead to clogged pores and breakouts if not treated effectively. Also, aging brings lines and wrinkles to our skin, making it less smooth. Learning how to manage mature skin can be a big help in the quest for getting smooth skin.
- Environmental factors: The world around us can have a big impact on our skin. More specifically, exposure to the sun’s powerful UV rays can produce many problems. Sunburn can cause the skin to become inflamed, irritated, dry out, form dark spots, and even peel. Other weather conditions such as strong wind and temperature fluctuations can also create responses in our skin. On top of all that, pollution in urban areas can cause dirt to gather and increase the chances of blocked pores, breakouts, and congested skin. All in all, if you want to learn how to get smooth skin, you should pay attention to the environment around you.
- Skin conditions: Certain skin conditions such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis can create roughness and dryness. These issues are often the biggest hurdle for people trying to get smooth skin.
- Poor diet: You are what you eat! A diet deficient in essential vitamins, nutrients, healthy fats, and oils can lead to unhealthy skin.
- Reactions to products: Sometimes, our skin simply doesn’t agree with certain products. Depending on your natural skin type, you may be overly sensitive to some ingredients. For example, harsh exfoliators often make dry skin worse or cause irritation for people with sensitive skin.
- Genetics: Our genes play a huge role in determining how our skin reacts and behaves. If smooth skin runs in your family, congrats! We’re totally jealous. Most people however have to deal with genetically predetermined issues such as acne, oiliness, and roughness.
How to get smooth skin: Our routine
We’ve put together a simple skincare routine that you can use to get smooth skin. Performing this routine a few times a week over a consistent period will massively increase your chances of getting smoother skin.
However, we’re aware that everyone’s skin is different, therefore you should evaluate each step and figure out whether it is suitable for you.
The first step in any great skincare routine, especially when learning how to get smooth skin, is cleansing. Find a gentle, non-intrusive cleanser with natural ingredients that work for you. If you have dry skin, for example, find a cleanser that has a creamy base. On the other hand, use a gel-based cleanser if you have oily skin.
Apply the cleanser and softly massage it into your skin for 30-60 seconds. Leave it to sit for a minute or two before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. This should prepare your skin for the next steps in the routine.
Next, grab an exfoliant and use it to scrape away that difficult dirt from the skin. Dead cells, pollutants, and other muck can accumulate on the skin’s surface, blocking pores and causing breakouts. If we want to learn how to get smooth skin, we need to avoid this!
We’d suggest using a chemical exfoliator that contains alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs). These will be effective and easy to use.
At this stage, using a toner can be a great idea. A good toner will help to balance the pH in your skin, as well as wash away any leftover dirt that has managed to survive the exfoliator. We’d recommend finding a toner that is both alcohol-free and contains natural ingredients such as aloe vera. Not only will this soothe your skin, but it can reduce inflammation and minimize ruddy skin.
Serum is an essential component when you’re trying to get smooth skin. More specifically, using a serum containing essential ingredients such as retinol, vitamin C, and hyaluronic acid can work wonders. When used consistently and correctly, a good facial serum can help to brighten and smooth the skin, as well as reduce visual signs of aging such as lines and wrinkles.
At this point, it becomes super important to moisturize your skin. This will replenish and lock in the water in the skin, helping to keep it looking radiant and healthy. Using a moisturizer every day can help to smooth the skin, as well as maintain its youthful glow.
Gently massage the moisturizer into your skin and leave it to absorb for a few minutes. When you’re satisfied, you can then move on to the final step of this routine.
Finally, applying a strong sunscreen to your skin is the most effective way of completing this routine. Use sunscreen that contains at least SPF 30. This will protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays, reducing the chances of burning, irritation, and dryness.
Using sunscreen regularly, even on normal days, can contribute to getting smooth skin. The more protected your skin is, the better.
How to get smooth skin: Lifestyle changes
Beyond having an effective skincare routine, your can get smooth skin by making some simple lifestyle adjustments.
We’ve beaten this point over the head, but it’s true. Staying hydrated and drinking enough water during the day have great benefits for your skin. When you’re hydrated, your skin is smoother, has fewer dry patches, and has improved elasticity. Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day to reap the rewards.
Get enough sleep
Ever heard of beauty sleep? Well, there’s a lot of truth to it! Getting a good night’s sleep can really help keep your skin healthy. When you sleep, your body is free to repair cells and rejuvenate itself. It produces collagen and increases blood circulation to keep the skin in good shape. Sleep plays an essential role in skin health. You will develop fewer lines and blemishes, and your skin will be smoother.
According to research, engaging in regular aerobic exercise can enhance the composition of the skin by thinning the outer layer and thickening the inner layers, which is contrary to the natural aging process. This outcome contributes to a more youthful and smoother appearance of the skin. So dig out your gym membership from the back of the closet and get yourself down there!
Smoking and alcohol
It’s no secret that smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol are bad for you. What you perhaps didn’t know is just how bad they can be for your skin. Drinking too much alcohol causes dehydration, which in turn dries out the skin and reduces elasticity. This results in the skin becoming rougher and looking aged. This is the opposite thing you should do to get smooth skin.
Smoking, on the other hand, can increase the risk of acne and other skin issues. It also accelerates the visual aging process, causing lines and wrinkles, and discoloration. Try your best to cut down on smoking and drinking, and this will help you get smooth skin.
Eat better food
Eating the right foods can help you get smooth skin. Consuming foods that are rich in antioxidants can have a protective effect on the skin. These foods contain compounds that neutralize harmful molecules called free radicals, which can cause damage to the skin cells and accelerate the aging process. Antioxidant-rich foods include a variety of options such as leafy greens, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables, and fatty fish, such as salmon.
Leafy greens such as kale, spinach, and collard greens are packed with antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E, which have been shown to protect the skin from sun damage and other environmental stressors. Similarly, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, and peppers are rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body and can help promote healthy skin. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and improve skin hydration.
By incorporating these antioxidant-rich foods into your diet, you can help protect your skin from damage and support a healthy, youthful appearance.
Learning how to get smooth skin is simple. By incorporating a sensible and effective skincare routine into your day, and by making certain lifestyle changes, you can improve the look, feel, and overall health of your skin.
Keep an open mind and give it a try. Very soon, you may have gorgeous smooth skin that everyone is envious of.